How do I close my Retirement Portfolio?
Before you can close your Retirement Portfolio (IRA), you must complete the following steps:
- Link your external bank account to Stash so we can transfer your balance to you. (Learn how →)
- Turn off auto invest for your IRA. (Learn how →)
- Sell all of the investments in your IRA.
- Wait up to three business days for the sale to settle. (Learn how →)
- Wait up to five business days for the recently deposited funds to become available to withdraw.
You cannot close your IRA until you have sold or transferred all of your investments (up to three business days for the sale to settle), and any pending contributions to become available to withdraw (up to five business days).
After you’ve completed steps 1-5 above, follow these steps to finish closing your IRA:
- Click here to be taken to the Manage Account page on the web—right now you cannot close your IRA in the app.
- Click Close Account next to Retirement Portfolio.
- Fill out the form (follow the on-screen instructions).
- Wait 2-4 business days for your balance to be transferred to your external linked bank account.
- After you’ve received your balance in your external linked bank account, follow this link on your web browser.
- Follow the prompts to close your IRA.
We’ll close your IRA within four business days, and send you an email to confirm that your IRA has been closed. If you don’t hear from us within four business days, please contact us via email at email@example.com, or call us at (800) 205-5164 from 8:30 a.m.-8:00 p.m. ET Monday-Friday, and from 10:00 a.m.-6:30 p.m. ET Saturday and Sunday.
If you cannot complete the form in a browser, please download the appropriate form and follow the instructions below.
Roth IRA: Withdrawals of the money (Contributions) you put in are penalty and tax free. Prior to age 59 1/2 , withdrawals of interest and earnings are subject to income tax and 10% penalty. All earnings are tax free at age 59 ½ or older, assuming your first contribution was more than 5 years prior. Income Eligibility applies.
Traditional IRA: Withdrawing prior to age 59 ½, generally means you’re subject to income tax and a 10% penalty. Withdrawals after age 59 ½ are only subject to income tax but no penalty.
Please review the IRS website for additional information. This is not tax advice. Please consult with a tax professional for additional questions. Closing your Retirement Portfolio will not close your Stash subscription.
Related questions View all Retire
Q. Managing Your Stock-Back® Debit Card
Stash makes managing your Stock-Back® Debit Mastercard® easy. You can order a new card, activate your card, How can I order a new card? You can easily order a replacement Stock-Back® Card1 24/7 right from your Stash account.…
Q. Securities Lending
Securities lending is a kind of investment activity that allows whole-share owners of securities to earn extra income by loaning out their shares. Partial share owners are not eligible for securities lending. The owner of the whole-share (the lender) loans their securities to a financial institution,…
Q. Linking your External Bank Account with Micro-deposits
Looking for an easy way to transfer money on and off of Stash? Link your external bank account to your Stash account! There are two ways to link your external bank account to Stash: Login to your external bank account from the Stash website [learn more here] Request micro-deposits into your external bank account [keep reading below for more info] Micro-deposits are two small amounts (usually less than $0.50) that Stash deposits into your external bank account.…
Didn’t find your question?
Tell us what you’re looking for, and we’ll search for resources that could help.Ask your question
Fiduciary 101: Why it’s Our Job to be Your Advocate
It’s a big word that means a lot when it comes to handling your money. It defines a relationship built on trust and duty.