How do I close my Retirement Portfolio?
Before you can close your Retirement Portfolio, make sure you’ve done the following:
- Link your bank to Stash so we can transfer your cash to you. (Learn how →)
- Turn off Set Schedule for your Retirement Portfolio. (Learn how →)
- Sell all of the investments in your Retirement Portfolio and wait for the sale to settle (up to 3 business days). (Learn how →)
Note: A deposit hold of 6 business days may apply to funds that have been recently deposited.
You cannot close your Retirement Portfolio until you have sold or transferred all of your investments (up to 3 business days for the sale to settle) and any pending contributions are available to withdraw (up to 6 business days).
Once you’ve completed the above, please follow these steps to finish closing your Retirement Portfolio:
- Login to Stash on a web browser – right now you cannot close your Retirement Portfolio from the app.
- Follow this link to start a transfer.
- Select Retirement Portfolio.
- Fill out the form (follow the on-screen instructions).
- Wait 2 to 4 business days for your cash to be transferred to your linked bank.
- Once you’ve received the cash, go to this link on your web browser.
- Select Close account.
- Within 4 business days, we’ll close your Retirement Portfolio and send you an email to confirm that the portfolio has been closed. If you don’t hear from us within this timeframe, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can call us at (800) 205-5164 from 8:30 a.m.-8:00 p.m. ET Monday-Friday, and from 10:00 a.m.-6:30 p.m. ET Saturday and Sunday.
To downgrade your subscription after closing your Retirement Portfolio, please follow these instructions.
If you cannot complete the form in a browser, you can download the appropriate form below and follow the below instructions instead.
Roth IRA: Withdrawals of the money (Contributions) you put in are penalty and tax free. Prior to age 59 1/2 , withdrawals of interest and earnings are subject to income tax and 10% penalty. All earnings are tax free at age 59 ½ or older, assuming your first contribution was more than 5 years prior. Income Eligibility applies.
Traditional IRA: Withdrawing prior to age 59 ½, generally means you’re subject to income tax and a 10% penalty. Withdrawals after age 59 ½ are only subject to income tax but no penalty.
Please review the IRS website for additional information. This is not tax advice. Please consult with a tax professional for additional questions. Closing your Retirement Portfolio will not close your Stash subscription.
Related questions View all Retire
Q. What Happens to Crypto Investments When I Close my Stash Subscription?
When you close your Stash subscription, your crypto assets in your crypto account will be sold. The proceeds will be returned to your linked external bank account. Please note that if you close your Personal portfolio, you will not be able to maintain a separate crypto account. …
Q. Can I have two Stash accounts?
Not at this time, sorry. Stash only allows one subscription per person. …
Q. I closed my account, how can I get tax information?
We’ll still notify you by email if you receive a tax document, even after your account is closed. This email will contain a link to access your documents on our website. Log in with your same email address and password, and you’ll be able to download your tax documents.…
Didn’t find your question?
Tell us what you’re looking for, and we’ll search for resources that could help.Ask your question
Fiduciary 101: Why it’s Our Job to be Your Advocate
It’s a big word that means a lot when it comes to handling your money. It defines a relationship built on trust and duty.
Debt and Equity: What Every Smart Investor Needs to Know
You can invest in debt & in equity, but do you really know what that means? We break down the jargon.