How do I close my Stash+ subscription?
We’ll be sorry to see you go! You can close your subscription at any time in the app or online at Stash.com. See below to get started.
To start, please complete the following steps:
- Make sure your external bank is linked.
- Turn off Auto-Stash for your IRA account.
- Sell all of the investments in your IRA account and wait for them to settle (up to 3 business days).
- Wait for any recent deposits to be available to withdraw (up to 6 business days).
- If you’re closing out a Retirement account early, you may receive fines or penalties by the IRS. Check out this article for more information about closing your Retirement account.
- You may be able to avoid some fines or penalties by transferring your Retire Portfolio to another broker, also known as an ACAT (Automated Customer Account Transfer). Learn more here.
This is not tax advice. Contact a tax professional for further information.
If you have a custodial account, you’ll also need to close it before you close your subscription. Please contact Customer Support to close your custodial account. You can call us at 1 (800) 205-5164 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
Please keep the following things in mind:
- If you close your Personal Invest account, all of your investments will be sold. Proceeds will be returned to you through your external linked account.
- The complete process can take up to 10 business days. You will receive a confirmation email when all the steps are complete.
- You will still have access to the money in your Stash Banking account after your subscription is closed. You can transfer your money to an external account, or you can use your Stock-Back® Card1 to make purchases; however, you will not be able to add more funds to your Stash Banking account. Your subscription will automatically close when the balance is $0.
- If you use Stash direct deposit, please inform your employer about changing direct deposit information.
- If you get a tax document, we will notify you via email, even after your subscription is closed. This email will include a link to access your tax documents on our website.
- You might be invited to complete a survey regarding your Stash experience. Filling it out will help us gain valuable feedback we can use to improve.
Follow these steps to close your subscription:
Note: Update your app to the latest version, otherwise you won’t be able to close in-app.
On the app:
- Log into the Stash app.
- Tap your initials (iOS) or hamburger icon (Android) in the upper-left corner.
- Tap Subscription Plan.
- Tap Manage next to Your Plan.
- Scroll down and tap Close my Stash for Good.
- Follow the process of closing your account.
On the web:
- Log into Stash.com from a web browser (Safari, Chrome, etc.).
- Click your name in the upper-right corner.
- Click Subscription.
- Click Close my Stash for Good at the bottom of the page.
- Follow the process of closing your account.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us—and we wish you the very best in achieving your financial goals.
Bank Account Services provided by Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC.
1 All rewards earned through use of the Stash Visa Debit card (Stock-Back® Card) will be fulfilled by Stash Investments LLC. Rewards will go to your Stash personal investment account, which is not FDIC insured. You will bear the standard fees and expenses reflected in the pricing of the investments that you earn, plus fees for various ancillary services charged by Stash. Stash Stock-Back® Rewards is not sponsored or endorsed by Green Dot Bank, Green Dot Corporation, Visa U.S.A., or any of their respective affiliates.
Related questions View all Plans & Pricing
Q. How do I close my Stash Beginner subscription?
We’ll be sorry to see you go! You can close your subscription at any time in the app or online at Stash.com. See below to get started. Before you close your subscription, please keep the following things in mind: If you close your subscription,…
Q. How do I close my Stash Growth subscription?
We’ll be sorry to see you go! You can close your subscription at any time in the app or online at Stash.com. See below to get started. Ⓡ To start, please complete the following steps: Make sure your external bank is linked.…
Didn’t find your question?
Tell us what you’re looking for, and we’ll search for resources that could help.Ask your question
Fiduciary 101: Why it’s Our Job to be Your Advocate
It’s a big word that means a lot when it comes to handling your money. It defines a relationship built on trust and duty.
Debt and Equity: What Every Smart Investor Needs to Know
You can invest in debt & in equity, but do you really know what that means? We break down the jargon.