Is There A Minimum Amount Required To Open A Stash Account?
Stash has a simple pricing model, organized by subscription plan. Here’s a snapshot of our two subscription plans:
$3/month: Stash Growth
- Advice(6) for growing personal finances
- Investing access(7):
- Personal Portfolio
- Smart Portfolio
- Retirement Portfolio
- Banking access(2)
- Stock-Back® Card(5)
- Get paid up to two days early(6)
- Insurance access:
- $1,000 life insurance offered by Avibra(9)
- Everything in Stash Growth
- Advice(6) for family finances
- Stash+ Market Insights
- Two Kids Portfolios (custodial accounts)
- 2x rewards with the Stock-Back® Card(5)
- Insurance access:
- $10,000 life insurance offered by Avibra(9)
All subscription tiers come with access to a debit card (Stock-Back® Card) and Stock-Back® rewards(3). In addition, there are a few products with Stash you’ll need at least $1 to activate:
- Stash Banking Account(2): We do not require customers to deposit a minimum amount of money to open a Stash Banking account. However, to receive your Stash Stock-Back® Card(5), you must deposit at least $1 into your Stash banking account.
- Custodial (UGMA / UTMA accounts): Stash custodial accounts require a minimum deposit of $1 to be opened. There are no investing minimums(4) applied to a custodial account.
- Retire (Roth & Traditional IRA accounts): Stash IRAs require a minimum deposit of $1 to be opened. There are no investing minimums(4) applied to an IRA.
- Personal Portfolio / Investment Account (Taxable Brokerage Account): We do not require customers to deposit a minimum amount of money to open a Stash Invest account or establish a relationship with Stash. In addition, there are no investing minimums(4) applied to an investment account.
- Smart Portfolio: In order to open a Smart Portfolio, you must make a minimum initial investment of $5. This is because we automatically invest in a few different Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs) and we need enough money to spread around to all the ETFs.
(1) You’ll also bear the standard fees and expenses reflected in the pricing of the ETFs in your account, plus fees for various ancillary services charged by Stash and the Custodian.
(2) Bank Account Services provided by Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC.
(3) Stash Stock-Back® rewards is not sponsored or endorsed by Green Dot Bank, Green Dot Corporation, Visa U.S.A., or any of their respective affiliates, and none of the foregoing has any responsibility to fulfill any stock rewards earned through this program.
(4) For Securities priced over $1,000, purchase of fractional shares starts at $0.05.
(5) All rewards earned through use of the Stash Visa Debit card (Stock-Back® Card) will be fulfilled by Stash Investments LLC. Rewards will go to your Stash personal investment account, which is not FDIC insured. Stash Stock-Back® Rewards is not sponsored or endorsed by Green Dot Bank, Green Dot Corporation, Visa U.S.A., or any of their respective affiliates.
(6)If you purchase this plan, you will receive Financial Counseling Advice which is impersonal investment advice in the form of guides and educational materials about investing and financial planning, along with the ability to view the investments through the platform. In order to obtain personalized investment advice, clients are required to complete the suitability questionnaire during registration, must be approved from an account verification perspective and open a brokerage account.
(7)You may subsequently choose to open one or more investment advisory account(s). To begin investing on Stash, you must be approved from an account verification perspective and open a brokerage account.
(8)Early availability depends on timing of payor’s payment instructions and fraud prevention restrictions may apply. As such, the availability or timing of early direct deposit may vary from pay period to pay period.
(9)Group life insurance coverage provided through Avibra, Inc. Stash is a paid partner of Avibra. Only individuals ages 18-54 and who are residents of one of the 50 U.S. states or DC are eligible for group life insurance coverage, subject to availability. Individuals with certain pre-existing medical conditions may not be eligible for the full coverage above, but may instead receive less coverage. All insurance products are subject to state availability, issue limitations and contractual terms and conditions, any of which may change at any time and without notice. Please see Terms and Conditions for full details. Stash may receive compensation from business partners in connection with certain promotions in which Stash refers clients to such partners for the purchase of non-investment consumer products or services. Clients are, however, not required to purchase the products and services Stash promotes.
Related questions View all Getting Started
Q. Turning Round-Ups On and Off
You can easily manage your Stock-Back® Card round ups on the Stash app or website.1 Follow these steps to turn round-ups on/off. On the app: Login to the Stash app. Tap Bank at the bottom of the screen. …
Q. All About Instant Transfers
What are instant transfers? Transferring money within Stash generally is effective immediately but could take up to a few minutes; however, transferring to an external bank account can take 1-3 business days. Instant transfers allow you to transfer money to an external bank from your Stash banking account instantly for a 1% fee.…
Q. Earning Stock-Back® Rewards with Stash
Want to make your money work harder for you? The Stash Stock-Back® Debit Mastercard® allows you to invest while you spend.1 Read on to find out the details of this benefit, offered exclusively by Stash.…
Didn’t find your question?
Tell us what you’re looking for, and we’ll search for resources that could help.Ask your question
Fiduciary 101: Why it’s Our Job to be Your Advocate
It’s a big word that means a lot when it comes to handling your money. It defines a relationship built on trust and duty.
Debt and Equity: What Every Smart Investor Needs to Know
You can invest in debt & in equity, but do you really know what that means? We break down the jargon.