The Next Phase of the Stash Banking Transition
Starting December 19th, you will no longer be able to make deposits into Green Dot-backed Stash banking accounts. Any scheduled direct deposits, recurring transfers, or credits will not be processed. You will still be able to use your Visa® debit card like normal to spend your remaining balance until January 9th.
You must transition your Stash banking account to our new banking partner, Stride Bank, N.A. before January 9th to avoid losing access to Stash banking.1 When you transition, we’ll instantly transfer your balance to your new banking account and mail you a brand new Mastercard®. We’ll also give you a virtual card so you can begin spending and earning Stock-Back® rewards.
If you still have a remaining balance in your account on January 9th, we will mail you a paper check for the total amount. It can take up to 45 business days for the check to arrive.
If you haven’t transitioned your Green Dot-backed account by December 19th, you can still transition your banking account up until January 9th! This will allow you to have immediate access to your funds instead of waiting up to 45 business days for a check to arrive in the mail.
- Can I still use my Stash Visa® debit card after December 19th?
- Yes! You still have full use of your Stash Visa® debit card until January 9th, at which point your Stash Visa® debit card will be canceled, your Green Dot-backed banking account will be closed, and within 45 days you’ll receive a check for your remaining balance.
- Can I close my account between December 19th and January 9th?
- No, once your account is placed into spend down status on December 19th, it will remain open until January 9th. You will still be able to transition your banking account up until January 9th.
- What happens if I don’t spend all of the money in my account before it is closed?
- If you do not spend all the money in your account before it is closed, we will mail you a check for your remaining balance. This check can take up to 45 business days from the date the account is closed to arrive.
- You should verify that your address on your account is correct, as we will be sending the check to the address we have on file for you.
- How long will it take for me to receive a check for the remaining funds after my account is closed?
- It can take up to 45 business days for the refund check to arrive after the account is closed.
- What happens to my direct deposits set up on my old account?
- You will get a new account and routing number when you open your new banking account. Therefore, your old direct deposit instructions will no longer work.
- You must set up your direct deposit instructions again using your new account and routing number.
- Note: Do not edit your existing direct deposit instructions. Delete the old account and set up a brand new set of direct deposit instructions using your new banking account information.
- How long will it take for me to get my new debit card?
- The physical card will arrive in 7-10 business days.
- A virtual card is available immediately. You can add the virtual card to your digital wallet to begin spending and earning Stock-Back® right away.
- What happens to the Bill Pay I have set up on my Green Dot account?
- The new Stash banking account will not support Bill Pay. Please make other payment arrangements for these payments.
Related questions View all Bank Account
Q. I Didn’t Transition my Stash Banking Account, Now What?
Stash has begun the process of closing all banking accounts that were managed by our old banking partner in order to provide a new banking experience for our customers. Stash banking accounts will now be managed by Stride Bank, N.A. All banking accounts managed by our old banking partner will be inaccessible on and after January 11.…
Q. Freeriding: Definition, Examples and Penalties
What’s freeriding? Freeriding happens when someone buys a security with unsettled funds in the account and subsequently sells the security before fully paying for it. Please note that securities freeriding is a violation of the Federal Reserve Board’s Regulation T. Freeriding example 1: Alan has $0 cash available to trade.On Tuesday morning,…
Q. Stash Banking: Account Setup Checklist
We’ve changed banking partners to Stride Bank, N.A.—an exciting step that comes with enhanced benefits for you. Not sure if your new banking experience is fully set up? We’ve got you. Use this checklist to ensure you’ve unlocked all your new benefits.…
Didn’t find your question?
Tell us what you’re looking for, and we’ll search for resources that could help.Ask your question
Fiduciary 101: Why it’s Our Job to be Your Advocate
It’s a big word that means a lot when it comes to handling your money. It defines a relationship built on trust and duty.
Debt and Equity: What Every Smart Investor Needs to Know
You can invest in debt & in equity, but do you really know what that means? We break down the jargon.