Receiving Your Tax Refund
To receive your tax refund into your Stash account, you can set up a direct deposit into your Stash banking account. To set up direct deposit:
- Enter your Stash banking account and routing numbers on your tax form.
- Choose Checking on your tax form.
- Be sure the name on your tax return matches the name on your Stash account exactly.
Did you already file your return and now you’re waiting for your refund? Click here to check the status of your tax return on the IRS website. Stash does not control the timeframe for receiving tax refunds, so if you’re having an issue with your refund, you’ll need to work directly with the IRS.
Need to know your Stash banking account or routing numbers? Follow these steps to view them:
On the app:
- Login to the Stash app.
- Tap Bank at the bottom of the home screen.
- Tap the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Tap Account and Routing Numbers under Move Money—your banking account and routing numbers will be visible.
On the web:
- Login to the Stash website.
- Click Bank at the top of the home screen.
- Click Direct Deposit.
- Click View next to Copy your account information
- Click Show to display your account number.
Can I Receive Tax Refunds for Other People in My Stash Banking Account?
No, the tax deposit must be in the name of the account holder. In accordance with IRS guidelines, you may direct your refund to your account but cannot direct your refund to someone else’s account, or have someone else’s refund deposited into your account.
If we receive a tax refund intended for someone other than the account holder, the refund will be rejected, your account may be blocked, and the money may be returned to the IRS. For more info on tax refunds, visit www.irs.gov/refunds.
What if I Get My Refund Via Paper Check?
You can still choose to get your refund as a paper check, but it might take longer for you to receive your refund than if you chose direct deposit.
If you choose to get your refund as a paper check, follow these steps to deposit your refund check into your Stash banking account:
- Login to the Stash app.
- Tap Bank at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the gear icon to open Bank settings.
- Tap Move Money.
- Tap Deposit a Check (in the Move Money In section).
- Follow the prompts to deposit your check.
This should not be construed as tax advice. Please consult a tax professional for additional questions.
Related questions View all Tax Center
Q. Everything you Need to Know about Dividends
A dividend is a payment to a shareholder when a company shares its profits. The amount of dividends you receive will be proportional to the amount of stock you own in that company. Dividends are usually paid in cash (not additional stock),…
Q. Why am I receiving an authentication code from Stash and how do I stop it?
Keeping your information secure is our top priority. Two-factor authentication (2FA) will send a confirmation code as a text/SMS message, email, or phone call. This helps protect your Stash account by requiring a security code in addition to your password when you log in. …
Q. Managing Your Stock-Back® Debit Card
Stash makes managing your Stock-Back® Debit Mastercard® easy. You can order a new card, activate your card, How can I order a new card? You can easily order a replacement Stock-Back® Card1 24/7 right from your Stash account.…
Didn’t find your question?
Tell us what you’re looking for, and we’ll search for resources that could help.Ask your question
Fiduciary 101: Why it’s Our Job to be Your Advocate
It’s a big word that means a lot when it comes to handling your money. It defines a relationship built on trust and duty.