Everything you need to know about Mobile Deposit
With Stash, you can deposit a check when you need to simply by taking a picture of your check. Mobile check deposit is available to Stash banking customers .
Click below to skip ahead:
- Qualifying for Mobile Check Deposit
- How to deposit a check to your account
- How do I take a good picture of my check?
- Mobile deposit FAQs
- What is/is not accepted for mobile deposit
- Mobile deposit limits
How to deposit a check to your account
Follow these steps to deposit a check:
- Sign the back of your check and write “For Mobile Deposit Only to Stash Account”.
- Log into the Stash app.
- Tap Bank at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the gear icon in the upper-right corner.
- Tap Move Money in the Move Money section.
- Tap Deposit a Check.
- Enter the check amount and tap Continue.
- Allow access to your camera.
- Take pictures of the front and back of the check. You do not need to press a button to take the picture—once the check is aligned, the picture will automatically be taken (see our tips to take a good photo below).
- Tap Submit Check.
How do I take a good picture of my check?
Here are some tips:
- Place your check on a flat surface with a dark background and good lighting.
- Make sure all four corners of the check are in view.
- Hold your phone steady and tap on the screen to focus. The camera will automatically take the picture once these conditions are met.
Note: Some phones automatically store photos. For security reasons, please make sure photos of your check aren’t saved to your phone or online storage.
Mobile Deposit FAQs
How much does it cost to deposit a check?
There’s no additional fee to deposit checks to your account.
Can I cancel a pending check deposit?
No. You can’t cancel once you submit a picture of the check for deposit.
How long should I keep my check after I submit it?
Keep your check in a safe place for 30 days before destroying it, in case it’s needed for verification purposes. And keep in mind—once you deposit a check with us, you can’t cash or deposit it anywhere else.
Do I need to sign the back of my check?
Yes. Sign your name on the back of the check followed by For mobile deposit only clearly in blue or black ink, or it will not be accepted. Please also make sure your signature is a reasonable size.
How fast will money be in my account?
Money could be in your account as soon as one business day, but some deposits may take up to five business days.
How will I know when money is in my account?
We’ll notify you via email when the funds are in your account. You can also log into the app at any time and view your transaction history (check out this article to see how you can view your transaction history).
What is/is not Accepted for Mobile Check Deposit
Here are some guidelines on what can and can’t be deposited with Stash mobile check deposit:
Note: All checks must be in USD.
- Personal checks written to you
- Commercial pre-printed checks issued by a U.S. business to you such as:
- Payroll checks
- Insurance agency checks
- Rebate checks
- Stock dividend checks
- U.S. Government-issued checks including:
- Tax refunds
- Federal, state and municipal government checks
- Money orders or cashier’s checks
- Not payable to you (even if signed over to you)
- Payable to more than one person (even if you are one of the names on the check)
- Payable to “Cash” or “Self”
- Payable in a foreign currency
- Drawn on a bank outside the U.S.
- Not dated, post-dated, or more than 90 days old
- Irregular in any way (for example, where the numerical and written amounts are different)
- Previously cashed or deposited (either in paper form or electronically) or returned unpaid for any reason
- Suspected to be fraudulent, forged, altered or not properly authorized
- Missing the person’s signature who wrote you the check
- Exceeding the deposit limits set for mobile check deposits
- Registered government warrants
- Demand drafts
Mobile Deposit Limits
|Per check limit||$2,500|
|Daily dollar limit||$10,000|
|Daily check limit||10 checks per day|
|Monthly dollar limit||$50,000|
|Monthly check limit||25 checks|
Note: Checks must be at least $1. You can’t deposit more than your account balance limit.
Access to this feature is subject to check deposit terms and conditions, and can change at Stash’s discretion. Enrollment qualifications and limits may apply.
Related questions View all Stash Banking Account
Q. Managing Your Stock-Back® Debit Card
Stash makes managing your Stock-Back® Debit Mastercard® easy. You can order a new card, activate your card, How can I order a new card? You can easily order a replacement Stock-Back® Card1 24/7 right from your Stash account.…
Q. Securities Lending
Securities lending is a kind of investment activity that allows whole-share owners of securities to earn extra income by loaning out their shares. Partial share owners are not eligible for securities lending. The owner of the whole-share (the lender) loans their securities to a financial institution,…
Q. Linking your External Bank Account with Micro-deposits
Looking for an easy way to transfer money on and off of Stash? Link your external bank account to your Stash account! There are two ways to link your external bank account to Stash: Login to your external bank account from the Stash website [learn more here] Request micro-deposits into your external bank account [keep reading below for more info] Micro-deposits are two small amounts (usually less than $0.50) that Stash deposits into your external bank account.…
Didn’t find your question?
Tell us what you’re looking for, and we’ll search for resources that could help.Ask your question
Fiduciary 101: Why it’s Our Job to be Your Advocate
It’s a big word that means a lot when it comes to handling your money. It defines a relationship built on trust and duty.